Friday, April 23, 2010

Speak English, read English....

Hi, 

As usual, husband and I were having a discussion, this time, about English and it's importance. He was talking about his school days, when he did not have any command on the language; as a result, could not properly express his thoughts. This posed a problem for him, especially in exams, as he did not learn through rote, but through understanding. Belonging to a typical Hindi speaking household, in a small town, he did not have much exposure to English language per se; availability of children's books was limited, English TV programming absent; peers were more or less similar in their command......

Soon, he realized that it was important to learn to think in the language. That is when he started reading books. It is a different matter that those books were Hardy boys and Mills and Boon!! No one can label those as classics :):) His English improved and now (actually since many years now), his command of the language is superb; so is his vocabulary. He uses a lot of 'tough' words in routine sentences......they are tough, so I cannot remember them to give examples here :):) 

On the other hand, I was very fluent with English from childhood. I used to write poems and stories, at an early age, those used to get published in magazines.Strange actually how my English was good, because we spoke exclusively in Marathi at home; Punju Hindi with friends. I remember in 1st grade, the teacher had asked us all to speak only in English at home. I returned that day from school and followed her instructions. Mom was damn strict about speaking in Marathi at home; and before she let go her wrath on me, I revealed the teacher's instructions. Mom got wild, saying No way!! It is important to know your mother tongue!!! Grrrrr....

So how did I learn? I guess maybe because my father got me (and my brother) into the reading habit very early. I remember my first book....a mammoth fairytale stories book; which had uncommon fairytale stories (besides the regular Cinderella, Snowhite, Goldilocks). After the final exams got over, Dad, brother and I, used to go to Tekson's (a famous bookstore, those times Crossword) and buy books worth Rs. 1500. That amount was huge back then, now it is the equivalent of a per head dinner! Dad never used to blink an eyelid at the amount we spent on books. 

I guess, that is how my English became pretty okay....in fact, modesty apart, pretty good!! I have kept most of those books, in great condition. Mom does threaten to dispose them off......but I have kept them for my kid/s. (yes, in her house :):) )

I see many mothers struggling to teach English to their children. It is important I know, but probably, instead of rote, encouraging the reading habit could prove beneficial. Having said that, I hope when my time comes, I am able to inculcate the same in my son. Finally, those books would be brought to my house, Mom would be rid of them!! :):)

Happy reading :):)


2 comments:

  1. Just found this blog and it has been fascinating reading about your experiences and observations. I am Nigerian born in Lagos but living in London but I also know Mumbai (I did the PR for Maharashtra Tourism! for some time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this blog and it has been fascinating reading about your experiences and observations. I am Nigerian born in Lagos but living in London but I also know Mumbai (I did the PR for Maharashtra Tourism! for some time)

    ReplyDelete