Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hobbies and women

Hi, 

During our weekday chats, my best friend was telling me about her facing depression once, due to acute boredom. Basically, after marriage, she shifted to USA and was not working, did not have many friends, no internet etc etc etc.....Both of us discussed how these issues are now getting to be common in our generation. I mean, our mothers were housewives and they never mentioned getting bored, 'getting depressed' was something probably they still don't know! 

I guess my mother would have definitely got bored; I was born 7 years after their marriage (my brother later than me), Dad was travelling very frequently, no TV (anyways there was no cable connection those times), some friends. I wonder what she did the whole day? She used to keep herself busy with painting and embroidery. Being a trained commercial artist, I guess painting was not a problem for her. Embroidery was  something she learnt from her mother. 

I think a lot of women in her generation, got involved in embroidery, home decoration, knitting, such allied stuff; just to keep themselves busy. Depression, thus, kept itself totally at bay. However, our generation, could face this problem. My friends and I were always busy with studies; not that we were brilliant :):). We did not have time to cultivate hobbies, nor did we have an inclination for it! Somehow such stuff was scorned upon. 

Now that I am not working (or hardly working, sometimes working...), and my son goes to school for an extended time, I have too much free time on hand. That is when I really wish I had learnt some hobby, embroidery or painting or anything like that from Mom. It would not only have helped me pass my time, but would have been constructive also. My Mom still learns new hobbies; recently she learnt  chocolate making and candle making. And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!! :):)  

I hope after my forthcoming India trip, I can return fully equipped with some hobby, to keep depression at bay! 

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment