Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lagos- hairy story :)

Hi,
While sharing my experiences about Lagos, I thought about somethings that are quite unique to Nigeria per se. Probably these could apply to the rest of Africa as well, only, since I have not stayed in any other city, I would not be confident of saying so. These are assorted things that I wanted to share, hence, pls excuse the bullet points :):) (As all good things are bad in excess, I will write one at a time )

1. HAIR: My husband and I really feel that God has been quite unkind to these poor people. It's not only about the skin colour and poverty; at least he could have given them good hair! It maybe okay for the men, I mean, usually post 25 years, for men, it is like hair today, gone tomorrow :). But think about the women. Poor things!
Their hair is so curly, it does not grow at all; even if it grows, it curls up, so probably does not show. I am sure when women world over grow their hair, then cut it, grow it some more....cut it in steps/layer and other hairstyles; the African women would also want to do the same.
So they have figured out a way to experiment with hairstyles. Even if they cannot do this on their own hair, they try wigs. These are different styled, long, braided, beaded, with hairband, and without......Usually, this is done once a week, though the more ambitious get it done more often also. It does not look bad also....I mean earlier, when I saw someone wearing a wig, it used to look odd, not match their overall personality, or their skin colour etc. But when these women wear wigs, it looks quite natural.
The wig thing is not restricted to only women, time, energy and money is spent, doing it for young girls also. I have seen 3/4 year old sitting patiently while their mother combs their own hair out of sight, then chooses a wig, makes a style from it.
This is done by ALL women here......irrespective of income. The maids get it done at a roadside shop, while the richer women visit beauty parlours. Even then, my maid pays 2000 Niaras for each new look! (divide by 3 for INR)
In our early Lagos days, every Monday when my maid would turn up with a new look, my son would get confused. He would always ask "Who is this Mamma?" (after all Mamma has been looking the same since his birth.....harrassed!! ) :):) Now he has adjusted to it, though when the maid wears a formidable looking wig, he hardly wants to go to her. (no, she does not do it on purpose) :):)
In India, if a woman thought of experimenting with her hair, it would be a long process. She would consult millions of people, end up being confused; visit the parlour, end up being more confused; she would spend a long time on her hair, irrespective of look. For long hair, obviously it would take time growing it; for shorter hair styles, it would take a long time maintaining the same e.g. rollers for step cut/layer cut.
I wonder why we Indians do not think about adopting this shortcut, we are also quite obsessed with our hair. Just think, each occasion, change your look....just buy a hair wig (oh btw, I don't think my maid buys these wigs; I think she rents them) and voila, you are a different you! No need to use hair colour also. What an idea madamjee :):) Maybe because wigs have different connotations for us. We club wigs as something to be used by people whose hair has fallen out (due to old age, medication, illness etc). Or something used by film stars, to remain a part of our dreams for longer.
Here, in Lagos, it is a natural part of accessorizing.....actually not even accessorizing, since it is not restricted to occasional get up. It is more a part of them, on a daily basis....similar to someone using dentures. (yes, that is the simile I was looking for) The days my maid is with her own hair, I start to feel uncomfortable, that this is someone else in my house :):)

Given below, some pics of what I described here. I really need to get my camera out and click some real snaps. (for now, this is courtesy google images)




Oh, what do the men do? What all men do......trim their hair and once it shows signs of balding....shave it off! Sooooooooo boring :):)
Ciao











1 comment:

  1. hey ur blog reminded me of this movie released last yr in US abt black women and their hair dos... i guess its not just restricted to Lagos... black women US too do stuff with their hair, as their hair is way too curly to manage day in and day out...

    Every time i look at them, i mentally thank god for being so kind and giving me nice wavy and easily manageable hair... :)

    But 1 think, only Black women can carry these hairstyles well... m sure i'll look stupid and comical if i do something like that... :)

    ReplyDelete