Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cough!!!

Hi,

I am sure everyone is wondering why I have chosen to write about this topic...I mean, it is neither entertaining, nor informative! But, I am been plagued by this particular illness for the past 2 years. Correction, not me, but my son.....and therefore us(my husband and I). My son very frequently has cough...maybe once a month. When he was younger (he is now 3 years old), he had it like once every 15 days. He also has an immense ability to cough the whole day, non stop! Yes, I am not exaggerating. He has adjusted to this problem so well, that he can cough continuously, and carry on with playing, eating, crying, laughing...and of course talking!!! Unfortunately, till date we have not yet adjusted with this :(:(

So, after doing many tests, changing docs and lines of medicine (like allopathy,homeopathy and ayurveda; did I leave out anything??), doctors came to the conclusion that he has an allergy. We thought, wow! at last it has been diagnosed. This was important to us, because our perennial question was "Doctor why does it happen?" The doctor finally said "It is due to allergy".

Now the next important question "Doctor what is he allergic to?" (we thought answer this one and our troubles are over). "I do not know; you are the parents, you need to find out!!!!" WHAT???? This happened with all the doctors, irrespective of line of medicine. The homeopathy one was the most irritating. She asked me zillions of questions about my son, his play habits, his nature (NATURE???sounded like a matrimonial interview), his eating habits, whom he loves most etc etc. And she did not answer the only question I asked her (not fair!!!)Nor did she tell me how all those questions were related to coughing; after all cough is supposed to be an involuntary reaction of the body. :):)

So, then began the massive search, Bharat ek Khoj......continued till Lagos!! :):) I started to eliminate the common allergants such as coloured food (lollypops and toffees were my prime enemies, cold drinks/foods (till my son forgot I for icecream), dust (hmmmm, that is a tough one to eliminate, so let's say took precautions. This also meant the poor soul was deprived of participating in most Indian festivals (Diwali due to firecrackers, Holi due to colours, Ganpati due to both). Hmmmm little wonder that he loves Santa Claus and Christmas. :):) Have we ever wondered how come ALL Indian festivals cause health issues?

The incidence did reduce, however, did not stop completely. Alongwith medicines, I also started home remedies. I asked friends, actually no, there was no need to ask. As soon as an Indian knows that the other is unwell, all the ancestors like Shusrusha etc come alive .....and free advise on what can be done flows out...endlessly. Some home remedies worked, while others had other repercussions (my son being an Indian, freely let go whenever anything disagreed with him) :):)

To our amazement, what worked for the cough, was a medicine given by the doctor in Lagos. The amazing this is not in the molecule/chemical or whatever it is called. It is about the method of giving....as a suppository! A thing given from behind, reaching the throat and working beautifully, is to be seen to be believed. Yes, I know it sounds yucky, but we are desperate. :):)

Now what we do for my son's cough is:

1. Medicine: preferably the suppository. Alongwith homeopathy and ayurveda syrups. Also, nebulizer(expensive but worth it)
2. Home remedies: dry roasted haldi (turmeric powder), mixed with ghee and misri (raw sugar crystals); tulsi leaves eaten raw; or soothing teas (tulsi+sabut kali mirch/whole black pepper+ ginger+honey; Twinnings Echinecea+strawberry tea. I prefer these home remedies for children as these are tasty and easy to make. Also, there is no chance of the child vomiting, as there is with other remedies such as white pepper powder+honey, ginger+honey.
3. Precautions: no coloured food, regular vaccum cleaning
4. Patience. As cough usually takes 7 days or so to get better.

And we Pray that he reaches the magical age of 5. That is when ALL the doctors (those who asked questions and those who did not) say he will overcome his cough problem.

Happy coughing....:):)

No comments:

Post a Comment