Friday, March 5, 2010

Lagos - Police

Hi,
There are many question marks about the security of citizens in Lagos, especially ex pats. Given this, prior to coming to Lagos, I used to think that I would be lucky to see a policeman, during my stay! I thought, if security is such an issue, police and related infrastructure would not be there.

After reaching here, I was alarmed!! There are at least 4-5 policemen standing on every main street; there are police patrol trucks parked at major intersections and highways. And......all the policemen carry AK47s with them! (Till now I had just heard about these, in context with terrorists, not policemen; and definitely not seen) Not an ordinary pistol, like the Indian policemen, tucked in a holder, making it more difficult to pull out. So when we went to India recently, the lack of AK47s, changed our safety perceptions a bit :):) The Nigerian police therefore, look fully ready for combats, if required, with the dreaded armed robbers!!


Alongwith this, they indulge in regular checking of cars and vans, that are easy targets for the robbers. Patrolling is quite common, even in the daytime; we regularly hear the police siren in the afternoons and are now not alarmed by it.
However, I soon found out that this stopping cars on road, is not only about performing professional duty. It is about personal gains also!! Especially on weekends! You might wonder why and how?
Basically, over the weekend, most cars, especially of ex pats, are stopped by the police, to glean money. Oh, they are quite blatant, courteous.....shameless about it - "Good morning Sir. How are you? Happy weekend...make my weekend" Or "Sir, Ma'am, I want to drink water" These are Nigerian codes for - Give me money!!
They are accommodating about this - you can give them any amount, ranging from 100 niaras to 500 niaras, they will not ask for more. Sometimes, you can get away with saying "Oh I just gave back there" and he will not ask for his share also. Once my husband told a policeman "I am taking my son to doctor", indicating he will not give money. The policeman let us go. By what logic, I don't know. Means, someone who is taking his son to doctor, would definitely have the cash right?
One gets shocked when one realizes these are proper policemen (meaning not traffic policemen) with AK47s asking for money! However, what I like about them is that they are at least are honest about it. Unlike the Mumbai traffic policemen. Over the weekend, especially on Sundays, they (Mumbai policemen) will stop you under false crimes (like running over a red light, sounding horn too loudly etc etc) and obtain your license. Now, most people give the mandatory Rs. 50 to save themselves from hassles. I can say this about Mumbai police only, as I have stayed in only 2 Indian cities, and Delhi police are hardly seen.
The Nigerian police can hassle the ordinary citizens a lot. So, a lot of people tell me that they prefer the armed robbers than the police!!! :):) Due to this, every Saturday, before moving out of the house, I make sure I have 100 niaras change and in a handy place. So I don't need to show the police with the AK47s, my full wallet.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment