Monday, February 8, 2010

Lagos!

hi,
as the title suggests, this blog would be about lagos. we shifted to lagos in june 2009 and before coming here, I had great apprehensions. hence, my husband came 3 months before my son and I, to see if it was safe for us to come here.

initially when I came here, I was ever so watchful, always used to double check if the windows and doors of the car were locked; could not sleep properly at night; and didn’t walk at all even 1 meter. heart in your mouth is a phrase often used in books......that was my general state for few months.

coming from mumbai and a flat system, where there are lots of sounds heard, many people etc, i used to find the evenings very boring, lonely and damn depressing. in all this, my next door neighbour's servants were very noisy, and i used to seek solace in that! really, if it weren't for them, the silence would be killing!

after a few months, i sort of adjusted, the fear was still there, but somehow instead of many times at night, i used to maybe wake up once and think i heard gun shots. i stopped looking over my shoulder while buying veggies.......but what stopped doing the most was...differentiating between whom to listen to and who not to.

i found out that a lot of perceptions of lagos are that only...perceptions i mean. indians have a great love to talk, and are bad at maths....2+2 isnt equal to 4, its like 22! so if someone hears a scooter's exhaust pipe exploding, its immediately labelled as a gun shot.

after returning from india, i felt i was more settled in lagos. sounds strange right....one would have thought i would be hating it even more and getting home sick each day. maybe there is something that my mother says about your own house, own routine and all. maybe that works for women.

now i have my own circle of friends, we go out once every week; and chat in school. i have sort of adjusted to the silence, it seems slightly more comfortable now. except in the evenings, i still miss my mumbai life a lot!

ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment