Friday, April 30, 2010

Control, control, control!

Hi, 

Recently, my son started swimming classes, worth NGN 1k (=333 INR) for each class. The cost did not pinch us at all, after all, we really wanted him to learn how to swim. He enjoys it and modesty apart, is learning fast. Usually, there are around 7-8 children in the pool with him. Since we are in Nigeria, most are Nigerians. 

Most of these local children, even those as young as my son (3 years), come with their nannies. Some are accompanied by their mothers, only till she changes them; after which, they are in the able hands of the instructor. I always accompany my son and keep an eagle eye on him AND the instructor. Not only that, time and again, I scream out instructions to my son "Go that side, show me you can do it", "Move your hands also, not only your legs" (and vice versa). I am not sure whether he can hear me from that far, but I get pleased that I have done my duty as an encouraging mom! 

My knowledge of swimming is minuscule. I started learning with N and I can manage to move only with a float. Yet, this does not deter me from instructing the instructor, what he should teach my son; question him as to why he himself isn't going in the water; doubting him when he says N is tired. 

I wonder why I need to have all the reins in my hands, N's, the instructor's....? It cannot be because I do not trust the instructor. It definitely is not because I know more. So what is it? Probably VFM? You may ask.....VFM? This is about emotions!! I desire that N should learn in the 12 classes I paid for......I push him to try more...stretch till the full one hour (if he does more, WOW!!). I have already decided not to pay for more classes, so i push the instructor into water (not literally!!!) each class. 

Does a Nigerian mother not desire VFM? How does she delegate control to a stranger, albeit an expert? Hmmm, some food for thought. After all, most of the Nigerian children can swim better or at par with N. 

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment