Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chicken!

Yesterday I made chicken curry, and I have dedicated this blog to that curry, as I very rarely make chicken at home. This is mainly because my husband is a vegetarian (though he eats egg) and my son did not display much interest in eating it, till yesterday. And, how much can poor me eat? Hence, eating chicken is confined to restaurants or at mom's house. This is what probably makes it special for me......and if I do not have it every now and then, I shall probably go into chicken shock!!! :):)

This will surely put off many vegetarian friends (probably after reading the title, they won't venture into this space)! I have heard and read many arguments in favour of becoming a vegetarian, but I have never seen myself being that. I know being a non vegetarian means someone who is party to killing innocent animals and actually relishing in it (I know it sounds gross!)....but this does not touch me at all. I just think "Whatever, its very tasty; and just because plants cannot cry out, its not as if it doesnt hurt them when they are pulled out"!

Maybe it's a result of having a hard core fish eater for a mother, and a father, who cannot believe that vegetarian food can be part of eating out! Or maybe a result of going with Dad every Sunday to buy meat/chicken, during my childhood; seeing the shop guys catching the chicken, the chicken crying out, and soon delivered as a potential tasty dish (in a black polythene)! Hmmmm, maybe since they exposed me to all this so early in life, I have become immune to it (like a doctor :):))

Now, many friends try to put me off non veg food (oh I forgot, for me, non veg means Hindu non veg = chicken, mutton, sea fish), I come across PETA arguments. I always think of my husband whenever I face this. He is probably the most understanding person, oh sorry, most understanding 'vegetarian' person. He has till date, never asked me to stop eating non vegetarian food (maybe he really fears the alimony or my already under weight structure. He never makes faces when I eat non veg with him, and we eat food at the same table.

He is quicker than me to suggest I have chicken when we visit any restaurant! Though if by chance I do not order, he almost falls off the table!!! And not only this, but he also makes tandoori chicken for me, at home; he himself marinades the chicken and grills it! (see, not bad for a veggie). He also has never discouraged me from giving chicken to our son. In fact, since he does not like it much, I never used to give to him (insult of chicken I felt!). But, my husband always asks that I should give it to him.

So, if he is not anti chicken, why does he not eat? Would this not be better for me at least :):) He is not at all religious, so that cannot be the obvious reason. Maybe its conditioning, something he has been taught since childhood, thats it wrong to eat non veg. Maybe he seriously believes that killing innocent animals to satisfy your taste palettes is wrong; and does not want to force this belief on me. (hope he isn't waiting for self discovery!). Or maybe he actually does not like the taste (he has tasted it once)

Whatever the reason be, I am very happy he believes my stomach is mine and my conscience is mine too.

Meanwhile, my recipe for the chicken curry that lead to this post:

1 chicken
4-5 onions, pureed
4-5 tomatoes, pureed
Ginger garlic paste
2-3 bay leaves (tej patta)
3-4 whole peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
2-3 cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
3-4 cloves (laung)
4-5 cardomoms (elaichi)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsps coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
2 tbsps Cummin powder (jeera powder)

Method:

Heat oil in a pan, when oil is heated, put the ginger garlic paste
Once the ginger garlic paste turns slightly brown, put all the spices (bay leaves, whole peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardomoms)
Saute for sometime
Then put the pureed onions and cook till onions become brownish
Then cook the tomato puree till this leaves oil
Post this, put turmeric powder, coriander powder and cummin powder and cook more
After that, mix the cooked chicken in this.
Put water and boil it nicely for sometime.
You can garnish with coriander leaves.

And my apologies for not putting a picture of this yummy chicken, could not wait till then :):)

Happy eating

1 comment:

  1. As I read this one I thought of me and Siddharth.Same thing just roles changed but I think love always take over your mental block and thats all about loving each other but at the same time I don't want to go far and happy to be veg and Sid non veg it only increases love for each other .If even one of us changed then love will not be the same.

    ReplyDelete